The Great Market Hall of Budapest is located on the Pest side of the Danube at the foot of Liberty Bridge. The Great Market Hall (Vasarcsarnok in Hungarian) is the oldest and largest indoor market place of Budapest, a beloved place of locals and tourists as well. Try the local food and get to know the best sellers of the market during a Market Tasting Tour.
History of the Great Market Hall
The Neo-Gothic Great Market Hall was built in 1879, just 6 years after Buda and Pest were united and became Budapest. During the rapid population and economical grow Budapest needed more markets with fresh and affordable goods, therefore four market halls were built to create the still known network: Batthyányi Square (District II.) Hold Street (District V), Hunyadi Square (District VI.), Klauzál Square (District VII. ), Kossuth Square (VIII. district), Customs House, Boulevard (IX. district).
The beautiful building was designed and built by Sam Pecz, the construction schedule was very tight and all market halls were finished at the same time. On the 15th of February in 1897, the inauguration ceremonies were held in the hall network.
To ensure the smooth construction and delivery of the goods, railroad rails were laid and the electric path was extended.
At that time, the Great Market Hall was one of the world’s most modern and equipped market halls with refrigeration systems and modern and artistic lighting. The 10,000 square meters hall is covered by a steel structure and the lovely majolica covers have been made in Pecs, by the famous Zsolnay factory.