The main building of Corvinus University of Economics is located on the Pest side of the Danube, near the Liberty Bridge and the Great Market Hall. The Neo-Renaissance building is part of the UNESCO World Heritage sights and the riverside attractions of Budapest.
History of Corvinus University of Economics
The grandiose building was designed by Miklos Ybl, one of the most influential architects of Hungary (his works are the Hungarian State Opera, the University of Technology etc). The building of Corvinus University of Economics was finished in 1874 and it was used as the main Customs House “Vamhaz’ in Hungarian. It had railway connection and four tunnels to the ports of the Danube. The nearby avenue was named after the palace.
During World War II, the beautiful Customs House was used by the German and later by Soviet troops and it was seriously damaged in 1945.
After a renovation finished by 1950, the building was ready to become the University of Economics (Corvinus University). Most of the business faculties are still located here, the University of Economics has two more buildings nearby, and the complex is attended by over 14,000 international Students.