The majestic building of the University of Technology in Budapest is located on the Buda side of the Danube between Liberty Bridge and Petőfi Bridge. The 19th-century building is part of the riverside attractions of Budapest, the long and narrow university campus is attended by more than 21,000 students from over 50 countries and walking from one side to the other can take up to 20 minutes.
History of the University of Technology
The Institute of Technology was established in 1782 and was the first institute in Europe where engineers were trained at the university level. It is also considered the world’s oldest institute of Technology which has university rank, the first in Europe to award engineering degrees of land surveying, river control, and road construction.
The University was attended by famous architects such as Imre Steindl (the architect of the Hungarian Parliament), Alajos Hauszman (the architect of Buda Castle), Frigyes Schulek (Architect of the Fisherman’s Bastion) or Erno Rubik (Rubik Cube).
The University of Technology played important role in the Revolution against the Soviets in 1956. Students and professors fought against the communist regime and despite the failure of the revolution, the University remained the emblem of Hungarian freedom fighters.
The University of Technology (Muegyetem in Hungarian) is close to Gellert Hill and Gellert Spa on the Buda side. We recommend taking a pleasant dinner cruise on the Danube to see the building by the mesmerizing evening lights.